Open Ceramics, the official, peer-reviewed, Open Access journal of the European Ceramic Society, published by Elsevier, invites research and review articles to be published in a special issue “Colloidal processing of ceramics.”
From the seminal work started in the 80’s colloidal processing has become a preferred approach for the near-net shaping of advanced ceramics and its scale-up from laboratory to industrial applications. The progress in the last decades has been very deep, with the development of multiple techniques for the characterization and optimization of suspensions and for the manufacture of complex shaped parts. The exponential increase of colloidal methods for the production of ceramics has made possible the creation of novel processes and materials with a broad variety of applications unimaginable few years ago and with growing expectations in the coming years.
The aim of this feature issue is gathering contributions that address current progress in the field of colloidal processing of ceramics, focusing in the preparation, characterization and optimization of well-dispersed suspensions and the development of new formulations and additives, on one side, and on the other side, on the direct application of the colloidal approach in the manufacture of bulk bodies, coatings and laminates using existing technologies or new developed techniques and strategies.
Open ceramics welcomes novel contributions on recent developments in the field of colloidal processing of ceramic materials and ceramic-matrix composites for either structural, functional or biomedical applications including:
- Synthesis of nanoparticulate sols and suspensions
- Colloid chemistry and rheological characterization of suspensions
- Eco-friendly additives for wet processing
- Shaping of near-net ceramics by colloidal filtration and direct consolidation methods
- Shaping of porous ceramics by ice templating, replica, starch consolidation, polymer templating, etc.
- Ceramic matrix composites produced using suspensions
- Shaping of complex 3D parts by slurry based additive manufacturing
- Manufacture of substrates by tape casting, screen printing, etc.
- Production of thick coatings and films by electrophoretic deposition, spin coating, dipping, etc.
- Colloidal processing of layered and functionally graded materials
- Upscaling and industrialization of slurry based processes
We kindly invite you to submit your work to contribute to this special issue.
Deadline for manuscript submission: October 31st, 2021.
Special Issue Guest Editor Rodrigo Moreno Instituto de Cerámica y Vidrio, CSIC, Kelsen 5, Madrid, Spain Open Ceramics, Editor-in-Chief Prof. -Ing. Paolo Colombo University of Padova, Department Industrial Engineering, Via Marzolo 9, 35131 Padova, Italy and The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Special Issue Information;
We are pleased to inform you that this Special Issue will waive the APC (Article Publishing Charge) until 31st October 2021. This will be applicable for any submissions received before this date, which are accepted for publication after peer review.
For More Information: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/open-ceramics/call-for-papers