The EDEFU Project, funded by a Seventh Framework Programme on Furnace Technology will be looking at developments in four sectors: foundry, glass, cement and ceramic. It hopes to achieve:
- a 20% reduction in power consumption based on different process assessments
- reduced particle emission to the atmosphere through process integration
- transformation of heat losses in other exploitable energies
- reduction by at least 50% in the generation of wastes through innovating recovery waste systems
- reusability of the 100% of the generated CO.
These developments will help lead to a generation of new furnaces with improved energy efficiency, and will allow the foundry, glass, cement and ceramic industries to reduce the high CO2 emissions and energy consumptions.